samba and win98 grief

Gerry Doris gdoris at home.com
Sun Nov 28 22:56:33 GMT 1999

I noticed a few weeks ago that I was no longer able to access shares on a win98
box called cs198787-a.  This used to work but it's now broken and I have no
idea why????  I'm  going nuts trying to fix this.  I've even gone out and
bought the book "Using Samba" .... great book btw.

The samba server is running on a SuSE linux system and passes all the tests in
the DIAGNOSTICS.TXT file.  It will happily connect to another WFWG 3.11 system.
The win98 system can see and access the samba shares in network neigborhood.
It can also see the shares on the WFWG system.

I just can't access the win98 system from samba!!!!!  I've increased the
logging and don't get any more info other than the connection failed???  The
following is the exact command and the output when I use smbclient:

gerry at leopard:~ > smbclient -L cs198787-a
Added interface ip=10.0.0.2 bcast=10.0.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to CS198787-A failed
session request to *SMBSERVER failed

The only thing that I can remember doing that might have affected the win98
system was the addition of a batch of Microsoft security patches that were
released a few weeks ago.  Could those be causing this????  Any other
suggestions???

E-Mail: Gerry Doris <gdoris at home.com>
Date: 28-Nov-99
Time: 17:44:05

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer