smbmount from fstab

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Nov 25 00:34:37 GMT 1999

I have a new problem. I made this share:

//wincli/menudata    /mnt/menu    smbfs     password=whatever,user,auto 0 0

mount /mnt/menu works on root, not on a different user. Empty directory is
chmod 777, and as per my understanding of user smbmount, I chmod 4775
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbmnt. Didn't work. Just for fun I chmod 4775
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbmount. Didn't work. Here's the symptom:

$ mount /mnt/menu
$ cannot mount on /mnt/menu: Operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1
mount.smbfs: ioctl failed, res=-1
Could not umount /mnt/menu: Invalid argument

$

Note that if I comment out the fstab entry and try to do it manually, that
doesn't work either:

$ smbmount //wincli/menudata /mnt/menu -opassword=whatever
cannot mount on /mnt/menu: Operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1
mount.smbfs: ioctl failed, res=-1
Could not umount /mnt/menu: Invalid argument
$

The preceding command worked perfectly when executed as user root. What
haven't I done?

Thanks

Steve Litt