Windows Profiles not being placed in defined logon path

Federico Sevilla III jijo at leather-collection.com
Mon Nov 15 00:23:07 GMT 1999

Hi there everyone,

I recently upgraded to 2.0.6 from 2.0.5a in a hope to improve data
integrity (I was having oplock_break problems that would affect the
integrity of a lot of Excel files). So far so good with the oplock_breaks
(even with oplocks reenabled). :-)

However, I've started having problems with the clients' Windows profiles
not being placed in my defined logon path. They're supposed to be in
\\linux-server\<user's home>\profile and things used to be that way, with
that linking to /home/user/profile. However recently, things started being
saved in /home/user ONLY even for those who already had profiles before!!!

This isn't really bad, except for me since I'm not a pure Windows user.
The doggone thing shares a desktop with my KDE, and I don't particularly
like it that way. Not to mention cluttering /home/user with USER.DAT. Ugh.
Hehehe ... ;>

Okay, back on track. I did a testparm and so far so good. The config dump
showed me more-or-less what I was expecting. Here's a snippet of my
smb.conf which may be relevant (taken from testparm to include the
left-as-defaults). BTW, my clients are all Microsoft Windows95 OSR2 boxes,
except a Linux box which I use. They are set to logon to the domain 'tlc'
which is also their workgroup and is defined in smb.conf as the workgroup.
        logon script = startup.bat
        logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
        logon drive =
        logon home = \\%N\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 255
        lm announce = Auto
        lm interval = 60
        preferred master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        domain master = Yes

It seems alright, if you ask me, and I didn't change much (except removing
my oplocks=no) when I upgraded to 2.0.6. It looks like that's when things
started m*essing up but I am NOT sure. Perhaps it could be the Windows
boxes? I have this thing for believing that when you're dealing with a
Windows box and things suddenly don't work, sometimes that's exactly what,
it just didn't work, nobody's fault, it decided to mess up. But I'm hoping
you people could help me out and enlighten me a bit more.

If the information I provided is lacking, please let me know. Also a
personal favor, please cc me at this address? I'm not subscribed to the
list. I will be checking the list regularly to watch this thread, though!

Muchos gracias! :)

   [        Jijo Sevilla         ]
   [ jijo at leather-collection.com ]