Samba, Clearcase, and multiple credentials

Frank R. Brown list.Frank at MailAndNews.com
Tue Nov 16 15:38:13 GMT 1999

This falls under the 'getting clearcase to work with samba'
category.

Does anybody know if the clearcase albd server actually uses
samba to access files (or anything else) on the unix side?

I am having 'discussions' with rational (the clearcase people).

The nt user running clearcase to access some unix-side views
connects to the unix side using a set of credentials that have
access to the user's unix-side files.

In addition to the clearcase user, there is also the clearcase
'albd' service that spawns off a number of service processes.
Rational tech support asserts that (some of) these processes
need to access the unix-side files using credentials that give
them the access rights of the clearcase administrative account.
(This account had different, and presumably broader rights
than does any specific user.)

This would mean that the nt host was connecting to the unix
host with two sets of credentials, which smb supposedly
does not permit.

Does anybody know what gives here?  What rational is saying
seems to me to contradict what samba permits.