SAMBA and IIS

Otto Giesenfeld otto.giesenfeld at vindrosen.se
Tue Nov 16 10:06:00 GMT 1999

--On den 16 november 1999, 02:30 +1100 Matthew Vanecek <mev0003 at unt.edu>
wrote:

> What do you mean?  ASPs require a Web server with an asp engine to
> work.  I do quite a bit of work with them, but I'm not sure how you
> would do anything with samba and ASPs.  Could you be more specific?

Perhaps he wants to let IIS read the ASP source directly from a Samba
server. This could be useful during development, for example if you keep
all your other files on a Samba share, or if backup schedules give priority
to files on the Samba server. It is perfectly possible to let an IIS web
site or virtual directory point to a share, but in our experience it does
not work well if the share is on a Samba server. (Though I do not remember
which Samba version we were using when someone last tried it.)

If someone has good experiences running IIS against Samba, we would
definitely give it another try.

Otto Giesenfeld