Windows 98 user level sharing

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Nov 7 22:00:35 GMT 1999

I've been going thru conniptions trying to set a Windows 98 client for user
level access. I think part of the problem is I have insufficient info, in
spite of reading everything I can get my hands on.

My server is RH 6.0 with Samba 2.0.5a compiled from samba.org source in the
default configuration. I have it set up as a working W9x login server, with
workgroup= being the same workgroup as the client. When I try to share a
Windows 98 directory and click the add button to add a user to the empty
list box, I get the dreaded "You cannot view the list of users at this
time. Please try again later". Additionally, net view \\wincli produces the
following error:

"Error 55: The specified resource is not available. The computer that shared
the resource might have been turned off, or the permissions might have been
changed. For more information, contact your network administrator."

The error 55 disappears the minute I change access back to share level in
the Access Control tab of the Network dialog box.

I've tried security=user, server and domain -- no difference. I tried doing
an smbpasswd -j MYGROUP -rservername, and of course it tells me I have no
password server list. And of course I can't point password server at
myself. I tried pointing it back at the client and that didn't work :-)

Must one have a full PDC to accommodate user level sharing on the Windows
9x clients?

Is there a howto on windows client user level access?

Thanks

Steve Litt