Win98 SE, Samba 2.0.5, abysmal write performance

John Mechalas johnm at ichips.intel.com
Sat Nov 6 22:04:29 GMT 1999

I am running Win 98 SE and have a Samba server v2.0.5 on a FreeBSD 3.3
system.  Both machines sit on the same 100baseTX subnet.  I am seeing
expected read performance, but writes from Win98 to the Samba share are
terrible; upwards of 30 seconds to copy a 900kb file (yes, that's kb).
This happens in both Explorer, the DOS "shell", and in the application that
actually created the file (i.e., when I go to File->Save).

I've read the documentation on the Win98 Explorer slowdown, but I haven't
seen references to performance issues in general applications.  Recent
releases have fixed the fsync() issue, according to the documentation in
smb.conf, though I tried expolicitely setting "strict sync" to "no" just to
be sure.  :)  I've also tuned socket options and max xmit sizes 'till my
fingers fell off, and I got (at most) a second or two improvement.

Obviously, something else is wrong here.  I blame Win98 (who wouldn't).  :)
Especially since a Win95 laptop with a measly 10baseT ethernet line can do
the same file copy to Samba in under 7 seconds (using the same subnet,
copying to the same Samba server-- having a 10/100 hub that bridges is
pretty convenient).

The mailing list archives don't seem to offer any clues, unless I'm just
searching for the wrong words.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,
John

--
John Mechalas                    \               carpe cavy!
Intel MD6 Engineering Computing   \