linux on an NT network

Bart Himel 31himel at cua.edu
Wed Nov 3 00:16:02 GMT 1999

I'm at a university that uses WinNT for its network and I want to use Linux to access the network.  I'm having problems doing this because the only info installation instructions give is the workgroup (residences) and then you are supposed to name your computer your user id, which in my case is 31himel .  This user id is generated by the last 2 digits of your social security # and then your last name.  They have refused to let me change it, and of course, Linux doesn't allow a username that begins with a #.  If anyone can tell me how to browse the network from linux using samba I'll be mighty appreciative.