SAMBA digest 2290

Joseph C. Bender jcbender at mutiny.net
Mon Nov 1 14:19:25 GMT 1999

At 03:33 AM 11/01/1999 +1100, you wrote:

>From:   Hai Nguyen <hhn1 at yahoo.com>
>To:     samba-technical at samba.org, samba at samba.org
>Subject: root did not create the semaphore
>
>Hello,
>I am new to samba and need assistance for the error below.  The daemons
>started fine (via script) but can't map drive and get error below.
>Thanks for any help.
>Hai Nguyen
>
># smbstatus
>
>Samba version 2.0.5a
>Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
>
>ERROR: root did not create the semaphore
>ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes
>Can't initialise shared memory - exiting
>#
>
># sysdef
>*
>* Streams Tunables
>*
>     9  maximum number of pushes allowed (NSTRPUSH)
> 65536  maximum stream message size (STRMSGSZ)
>  1024  max size of ctl part of message (STRCTLSZ)
>*
>* IPC Messages
>*
>     0  entries in msg map (MSGMAP)
>     0  max message size (MSGMAX)
>     0  max bytes on queue (MSGMNB)
>     0  message queue identifiers (MSGMNI)
>     0  message segment size (MSGSSZ)
>     0  system message headers (MSGTQL)
>     0  message segments (MSGSEG)
>*
>* IPC Semaphores
>*
>    10  entries in semaphore map (SEMMAP)
>    70  semaphore identifiers (SEMMNI)
>  5000  semaphores in system (SEMMNS)
>    30  undo structures in system (SEMMNU)
>    25  max semaphores per id (SEMMSL)
>    10  max operations per semop call (SEMOPM)
>    10  max undo entries per process (SEMUME)
> 32767  semaphore maximum value (SEMVMX)
> 16384  adjust on exit max value (SEMAEM)
>*
	Oooh.  I ran into this one too on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4.  Samba allocates
something like 12-15 semaphores on startup (if I can remember the header
file right).  I'd go into your tunable parameters and change the amount of
semaphores to 50-60 or so.

	In another thread, I *do* have Samba running on 5.0.4, and I compilied it
from source, and didn't use the Skunkware version.  Skunkware seems to be a
bad distribution of it, as I never got Samba to work when using it. If
anyone needs help with a sucessful smb.conf, SWAT config or NT stuff with
SCO, mail me off the list.
Signing off,

Joseph Bender
IT Systems Analyst
Burns & Wilcox, LTD

<mailto:jcbender at mutiny.net>
PGP key at keyserver or <mailto:jcbpgp at mutiny.net> |  PGP Key ID: 0xB004CCED
My opinions are my own, and not whomever is cutting my paychecks.

"Does the government fear us?  Or do we fear the government?  When the
people fear the government, tyranny has found victory. The federal
government is our servant, not our master."  ---Thomas Jefferson