oplock_break failed

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Mon May 31 19:18:39 GMT 1999

On 31 May 99, "Michael Doerner" <michael.doerner at clear.net.nz> had
questions about oplock_break failed:

> I am running Samba 2.0.3 on Linux Kernel 2.2.5 (SuSE 6.1) in a
> test environment with a Win NT server (PDC), the Linux box taking
> over step by step the file- and printserver tasks, and Win 95
> clients. Samba is setup with security=domain at this stage.
>
> It just happened again what I have seen only a few times before.
> When I use Outlook 98 on the Win95 machine and want to access the
> "personal folder file" (which lives on the Linux box), Outlooks
> hangs for a while (30 sec., see below).
[snip]
> [1999/05/30 22:40:34, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(812)
>   oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.
[snip]
> Hmm, I need a bit of help to understand what this oplock_break
> failed means or where I will have to read about that?

I think there are some workarounds in the samba 2.x settings (I'm
not up on all the 2.x stuff yet) but this is basically a client
misbehaving.  Are you running win95a or b (ie, OSR2, 2.1)?  If your
Outlook hangs for a few seconds on exit (regardless of where the
folders are) then you need some win95 updates.  Check here:

http://www.walbeehm.com/win95upd.html

If your win95 clients are already updated, then you may not be able
to fix the client problem.  I usually do all the updates for a
given client (ie, the OSR2 updates without winsock2) and it seems
to make windoze at least somewhat less flaky.  The only problem
I've had so far was with winsock2 on my wife's old machine (a 16
meg 486-100).  I had to remove all the network stuff and then re-
install without the winsock2 stuff.  It was still goofy, but hey,
it's windoze.

You may also want to check the mfc42.dll and msvcrt.dll libraries;
there are some virgin copies you can download off the net to make
sure you have the latest good versions.  Video drivers and other
software setup programs often replace certain .dll's without doing
the proper checking, etc.

Hope this helps, Steve