Sessions that don't die

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Fri May 28 01:50:06 GMT 1999

On 27 May 99, Tony House <tonyh at menzies.su.edu.au> had questions
about Sessions that don't die:

> I have encountered an interesting problem over the last several
> weeks. We run Samba 2.0.2 on a Sun sparc machine running Solaris
> 2.7 connected to PCs all running Windows 95.  Occasionally, after
> a PC is shut down, a Samba process will persist on the Sun.  That
> process will be using copious amounts of the available cpu - one
> was using 98%.  This process will persist for many hours.  For
> the ones I have noticed I have had to use the "kill" command.

This sounds like a race condition (I don't have a CS degree, but I
know some big words).  It could be a problem with the samba binary
or a shared lib.  Did you compile it yourself, and if so, did you
use the (slightly broken) sun c compiler or gcc?  Did you verify
you're linking with the right libs (and the right versions) or just
run configure and then make?

I know there're many of you out there who know much more about this
than I do (somebody bail me out of this please)...