Browsing across subnets connected by a linux router without using WINS

Daniel Roesen droesen at entire-systems.com
Thu May 27 11:35:55 GMT 1999

Hi!

We have the following scenario:

Subnet 1
=======
Contains PDC for domain DOM1
all clients in this subnet belong to DOM1

Subnet 2
=======
contains PDC for domain DOM2
all clients in this subnet belong to DOM2

These two subnets are connected via a multihomed linux box set up as a
router between these subnets. IP routing definately works ok.

What we want to achive is, to have full NetBIOS connectivity between these
two subnets including browsing. The "official" way to do it seems to have a
WINS server in each domain. For several reasons we don't want to use WINS
and so we have to have a way of relaying the NetBIOS name broadcasts and the
corresponding answers back and forth between those subnets.

A friend of mine hinted me on using Samba on the linux router, but I don't
see anything which does this in the Samba documentation.

Any ideas? I have to get this right very soon...

Best regards,
Daniel