Major Bug in Samba 2.0.4b with AIX 4.x

Branko Cibej branko.cibej at hermes.si
Thu May 27 06:31:16 GMT 1999

eller at tzd.telekom.de wrote:

> There is a bug in Samba 2.0.3 and 2.0.4b with IBM AXI 4.x.
> The Bug prevents connecting of other users than root to any
> share.
>
> I have a workaround/fix tested on AIX 4.1.5 ,4.3.2 with
> gcc 2.8.1 here:

[snip "workaround" for trapdoor UID]

No, that is not a bug in Samba. When you ran configure you (eventually) got
a message like this:

     warning: running as non-root will disable some tests

One of the tests it disables is the check for trapdoor UID.

There are two solutions for this:

   * run configure as root;
   * if you're scared of that, configure normally, an then edit
     include/config.h and #define HAVE_TRAPDOOR_UID.

Both of these have worked for me in the past, and I have 2.0.4b running on
an AIX 4.1 machine right now.

    Brane

--
Branko Čibej                 <branko.cibej at hermes.si>
HERMES SoftLab, Litijska 51, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia