More on Changing Windows Passwords

Bo Kersey bo-lists-samba at vircio.com
Thu May 27 00:16:43 GMT 1999

Hi yall,

I am having problems using unix password sync.  I am able to change the
smbpassword successfully if unix password sync is turned off.  However, when I
turn unix password sync on, I get:

Unable to change the Microsoft Networking Password for the following reason:

Incorrect Password

on the Windows98 client.

I am using samba 2.0.3 from the samba-2.0.3-19990228 rpm on RedHat 5.2.  We
are using encrypted passwords and the client is a Windows98 machine.

I noticed that if unix password sync is turned on, I'm required to give the
full path to all of the programs called.  The only program that I can see that
is called is passwd.  Since passwd is run as root, I've specified the full
path /usr/bin/passwd and added %u.

I've turned passwd chat debug on, but I am not seeing anything in the log.%m
for the machine that I'm working with.  I checked the log.smb as well.
Nothing.

Here's the short version of the smb.conf global from swat:

# Global parameters
           workgroup = VIRCIO
           server string = Samba Server
           encrypt passwords = Yes
           passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
           passwd chat debug = Yes
           unix password sync = Yes
           log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
           max log size = 50
           socket options = TCP_NODELAY
           logon script = login.bat
           domain logons = Yes
           os level = 65
           preferred master = Yes
           domain master = Yes
           wins support = Yes

TIA,

Bo Kersey                                  email: bo at vircio.com
virCIO - managed server solutions          phone: (512)374-0500
4314 Avenue C                                fax: (512)377-3336
Austin, TX 78751-3709

Start your own revolution and cut out the middle man.
  -Billy Bragg