Changing Windows passwords

Paul L. Lussier plussier at baynetworks.com
Wed May 26 14:39:48 GMT 1999

Hi all,

Is there a way to use the "encrypt passwords" and the "passwd chat" programs
simultaneously?  smb.conf(5) doesn't mention anything about them being
mutually exclusive, yet when I run testparm on the smb.conf file, I get:

	ERROR: the 'passwd chat' script [...]  expects to use the old
	plaintext password via the %o substitution. With encrypted
	passwords this is not possible.

So, how then can I run a Samba PDC, which requires encrypted passwords, *and*
allow people to be able to change their passwords (Unix and Windows) from
windows, if the 'passwd chat' and 'encrypt passwords" settings are exclusive
of each other?

My config is:
	Samba 2.0.4
	RH 6.0 in an NIS environment
	(I'm wanted to use yppasswd in the 'passwd chat' script)

Thanks for any insight!
--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh? :)