SAMBA digest 2104

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Wed May 26 06:10:29 GMT 1999

Verbose mode temporarily off:

From: "Paul L. Lussier" <plussier at baynetworks.com>
To: samba at samba.org
Subject: Cross-subnet browsing
-> Try remote announce parameter?

From: Samy Elashmawy <samelash at ix.netcom.com>
To: samba at samba.org
Subject: samba 1.9 -> 2.0.3 and suse 6.1
-> permissions on new directories? (make sure they're not owned by
root)

From: jwilli at abitasprings.com (Jeff Williamson)
To: samba at samba.org
Subject: Samba access or Apache server?
-> /etc/hosts screwed up

> <bigger>127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.localdomain

make the above line look like this (the rest is fine):
127.0.0.1     loopback     localhost

> 192.168.1.1		ramp
>
> 192.168.1.2		95
>
> 192.168.1.6		linux

I have samba and apache running on the same machine at home and at
work and it works for me.  The office LAN is private and has no
domain stuff defined at all (except in the win95 DUN stuff on each
client).  I surf to that machine with http://rama.  At home, the
samba/apache box also does IP masquerading, firewall, etc.  I use
the ISP's domain on all machines; both the win95/linux clients and
the server point to the ISP's DNS servers, while my clients also
point to my server as DNS (caching only named setup) and gateway.
Netscape on the clients points to the squid proxy port on the
server but squid doesn't cache apache pages on the same machine.  I
surf to that machine with http://horton.domain.org.  You need to
specify the hostname in the apache config files, otherwise Netscape
will only find it by the IP number.