How restrict access?

Andreas Burkart andreas.burkart at bb-data.de
Tue May 25 20:53:10 GMT 1999

Hi all,

we have a lot of PCs running Win95 (several versions) and WinNT (3.51, 4.0, SP3, SP4, ...).

Is it possible to restrict the server access only to PCs running a specific OS (Win95 OSR2.5 or NT4 SP4) and deny access
for all the "older" clients?
I think one way to do this is to use an include file, which contains the OS in the filename, but I believe the variable
"%a" is not specific enough. In the logfile I saw the entries:
"... NativeOS=[Windows 4.0] NativeLanMan=[Windows 4.0]"
"... NativeOS=[Windows NT 1381] NativeLanMan=[]"
How can I use this information in the smb.conf?

My second question:
Is it possible to restrict the server access only to PCs with a given mask(!) for the NetBIOS-name. The "hosts
allow"-parameter is only useful for IP-masks, but I can´t specify a NetBIOS-mask like "pc[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]". But I
want to suppress the server access for PCs called "MyComputer", "MyPC", "Room1", "Bob´sPC" or so. On the other hand I
can´t list all possible and allowed NetBIOS-names in a list, because there are more than 2.000 correct NetBIOS-names and
I think this would slow down the samba server.

--
Thanks for all comments.