writing files fail

Charles Galpin cgalpin at lighthouse-software.com
Mon May 24 22:15:41 GMT 1999

Hi all

I have a problem with samba writing files (browsing and reading files
works fine). On the windows clients, they get a error message to the
effect that the disk is full (i have 6 gig free), and in the server logs I
see:

[1999/05/24 14:52:52, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(376)
  read_data: read failure. Error = Connection reset by peer

Increasing the log level to 2, just made it very verbose, without any more
useful info.

I'm using samba-2.0.3-8 on Red Hat 6.0. This all worked fine on Red hat
5.2 (don't remember Samba version) before upgrading.

any and all help would be appreciated. I am fixing this remotely, so if
any windows client side steps can be avoided to diagnose/solve this, that
would be great. I do have access to another linux PC n the LAN w/
smbclient on it.

Oh, and I'm not subscribed to the list, so could you please CC me at

cgalpin at lhsw.com

thanks
charles