The mystery of the vanishing print job

Michal Jezierski heja at xox.pl
Mon May 24 14:37:42 GMT 1999

Chris Watt wrote:

> I end up with a message in /var/log/messages along the lines of:
> May 22 20:43:39 tito PAM_pwdb[642]: 1 authentication failure; (uid=0) ->
> cnww for samba service

No need to worry, Samba is just checking lowercase/uppercase
combinations, we have up to 36 such failures each login (perhaps one per
user/share).

> I also
> know that the user ID (which I assume is what uid is referring to) for cnww
> (me) is 500, not 0. . .

But samba runs with root UID...

> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/samba
>    browseable = yes
> # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
>    public = yes
>    guest ok = yes
>    writable = no
>    printable = yes

Seems OK, but check whether you have:

1. printing = BSD
2. print, lpq, lprm, etc. command = appropriate value for your system
3. Proper permissions on your spool dir (the RedHat's defaults are
almost surely wrong). It shall be word writeable with sticky bit set
(e.g. 1777 octal).
4. guest account working OK.

5, 6, ...Any guru wishes to add more?

Regards,