Long hesitation with Win95 OSR2 client

Bo Kersey bo-lists-samba at vircio.com
Mon May 24 01:31:42 GMT 1999

Server Specifics:
#uname -a
Linux denali 2.0.35 #1 Thu Jul 23 14:01:04 EDT 1998 i686 unknown
#rpm -q samba
samba-2.0.3-19990228
using encrypted passwords...

Problem Client Specifics:
Windows 95 OSR2

Symptoms:
There is a long (several second) hesitation when I try to open share on the
samba server.  Example:  Drive U: is mapped to the user shares.  If I
double-click drive U: under My Computer, I get a several second hesitation
before the drive actually opens.  This almost always happens the first time I
try to open the share after logging into the Samba Server and then it will
happen sporadically throughout the day.

I've checked the smb log specific to the client that is connecting and I see
no errors.  Any hints on what I should check next??

Thanks,

Bo Kersey                                  email: bo at vircio.com
virCIO - managed server solutions          phone: (512)374-0500
4314 Avenue C                                fax: (512)377-3336
Austin, TX 78751-3709

Start your own revolution and cut out the middle man.
  -Billy Bragg