Win95 Error51 problem

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat May 22 04:26:13 GMT 1999

ANA GIRON wrote:

> > Hello,
> >  I unfortunately am not a systems person but I'm trying to use Samba to
> > connect my linux box to two Win95 PC's. I am now able to print from my
> Linux box to my PC printer and now I'm trying to browse the Linux box from
> my PC. I can see my Samba server (the Linux box) in my Network
> Neighborhood. But when I click on it I get an error saying that the
> computer is not recieving requests. In a DOS shell using net view, I get
> an error 51: The computer is not recieving requests...

> I've gone through the diagnostics in John Blairs Samba book and can
> ping, nmbd runs correctly, my netbios name can be resolved etc. etc. The
> only thing that doesn't work is
>   smbclient -L SAMBASERVER -U '' -N
>  I get a session request failed.

What about the "hosts allow" parameter in smb.conf?  You need both
the real IP address/netmask of the host, as well as the loopback
address.

Steve

The Samba digest just isn't complete without the strains of KC's
Great Deceiver live stuff from 73-74...  (no I'm not stuck in the
past, but I can recognize greatness when I hear it :-)