Samba/RH6.0 file locking problems?

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat May 22 04:26:13 GMT 1999

On 22 May 99, "Sean E. Millichamp" <sean at compu-aid.com> had
questions about Samba/RH6.0 file locking problems?:

[snip]
> The big differences in the two systems as I see them are that the old
> one was running Linux 2.0.36 and glibc 2.0 and the new one is running
> Linux 2.2.9 and glibc 2.1.  The hardware is even almost exactly the same.
>
> Could there be any issues with the changes in kernels or libraries
> that could manifest themselves as oplock problems?

In general, I think the answer to your question is yes.  Since I
haven't used either samba 2.x or kernel 2.2.x yet myself, I haven't
paid attention to the specifics.  I know there are some differences
in the 2.2.x kernel source that affected the way samba compiles,
but I think they can be worked around by tweaking the makefile,
etc.  On the other hand, it seems to me that samba 2.0.4b has some
new options that might help as well.  That may be more critical for
NT clients though (as opposed to win 95).

Sorry i couldn't help more.

Regards, Steve

Steve Arnold                          sarnold at earthling.net
The salesman said "This machine requires Windows 95, NT, or
better."   The only thing I could think of was Linux.