Samba/RH6.0 file locking problems?

Sean E. Millichamp sean at compu-aid.com
Fri May 21 18:20:18 GMT 1999

I hope that someone can help me with this because I'm at a loss.

I have a Samba server running RH 5.2 w/all errata plus Samba 2.03 that is
used, among other things, to serve a share for a Windows program called
"Business Works" which is a network accounting package.  This program uses
the standard Windows range-locking to implement it's network capability.
I have been using this configuration with various versions of Linux,
Samba, and Business Works since I transitioned the system from Novell
3-4 years ago.

Now, I have setup an additional server running Red Hat 6.0 w/errata
running (at the start) Samba 2.03 and Linux 2.2.5, which both ship with RH
6.0. It runs the same exact version of Business Works, installed fresh
from the media.

Clients in both setup are various versions of Windows 95 (orig, OSR1,
OSR2, OSR2.1) but I don't (currently) have specifics of which flavor is
attached to which network.  But I know there is a nice(?) mixture.

The problem is that on the new server we seem to be experiencing problems
with the Oplock functionality that don't appear on the old server.  With
oplocks enabled on the new server when user A is using Business Works user
B has very long (in minutes) delays, presumably waiting for the oplock to
be released so it can get to the files.  I say presumably because as soon
as I set oplocks=false the problem goes away.  However, their performance
drops to a point where they are continuously complaining about how slow
the new server is.

On the RH 5.2 machine I have no special locking considerations for that
(or any other) share and the whole system has always worked fine (or, at
least, I've never had any complaints in 3-4 years).

The big differences in the two systems as I see them are that the old one
was running Linux 2.0.36 and glibc 2.0 and the new one is running Linux
2.2.9 and glibc 2.1.  The hardware is even almost exactly the same.  Could
there be any issues with the changes in kernels or libraries that could
manifest themselves as oplock problems?

I am going to setup a fresh RH 5.2 and 6.0 machine this weekend and a
fresh install of BW and try to get very specific information on what is
causing the problem but I don't know how much useful information I will
actaully obtain.

Any help/direction/patches would be *greatly* appreciated :).  Thank you.

Best,
Sean