W95 and encrypted passwords?

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri May 21 16:39:53 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Paul L. Lussier"
<plussier at baynetworks.com> carved some runes like this:

> I'm trying to play with the "not-yet-officially-supported-PDC-code" in
> samba-2.0.3 and running into problems with the W95 client I'm using for
> testing.  Since the Samba server is using 'encrypted passwords=yes' my W95
> system can't log in, since it's passing plain-text passwords.
>
> How do I *enable* encrypted passwords under W95?  Is there a quick
> registry hack for doing this?

You need to apply some (I'd recommend all) of the M$ system
updates; the vredir update puts in the encrypted password support.
See the win95 system updates page (this guy's done a real service):

http://www.walbeehm.com/win95upd.html

Regards, Steve