SAMBA 1.9.18p10 performance

Lajtos Máté ersziker at mail.matav.hu
Fri May 21 13:56:30 GMT 1999

I hope there's someone out there can help me!
I would appreciate if one of you did so.

I have some problems with samba:
I use samba 1.9.18p10 with SuSE Linux 6.0
W95,DOS Clients.

i. Lines in log.smb : "Unknown socket option  TCP_NODELAY" ?

ii. oplock_break:cannot find open file with dev='n',inode=q,(fnum=k)
allowing break to succeed.
Does it mean that a client wants to cache (preraed) a file which has been
deleted yet?

iii. The limit of the concurrently open files is per connection or per
session or a global feature or ...?

iv. The main thing:
I changed from Novell Netware to Samba.The amount of performance loss was huge.
Something must be very wrong, because I use the same hardware as 'under'
Netware.I paid attention to everything about performance in 'man smb.conf'
and smb HowTo and result is the same, it's unimaginably slow.
I think there's some problem at the clients' side (I had to change to TCP/IP
from IPX/SPX), WHAT CAN IT BE?

Yours,
Máté Lajtos