Suggestion for new 'dns proxy' feature?

Robert Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Fri May 21 11:31:40 GMT 1999

Hi,

Am I right I thinking that if I turn on 'dns proxy', I can do
'\\smb.x.org' (if it fits into 15) letters?

I'd like to use 'dns proxy' but only for local addresses in my domain.

Would it be possible to do add a 'dns proxy local only = yes' or
something (new option) which won't use DNS to resolve names which have a
'.' in?

(Alternatively, if I can do this already, how do I?)

I'm not so much worried about people resolving names outside our domain
as people who mistype a name and the server goes off looking for
something non-existant.

Thanks,

  - Bob

  The Day Today             ... because FACT times IMPORTANCE equals NEWS!
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  IT Services                                   r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.          http://www.reading.ac.uk/~suq96rcf/