Network is busy...

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Thu May 20 20:30:02 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "W. Bryan Caudle" <bcaudle at ctsi.net>
carved some runes like this:

> I have decided to post this message again in hopes that someone might have
> a clue as to what is going on.  Since the original post, we have also
> tried Samba 2.0.4 on the production machine with the same result.  Samba
> 2.0.3 contunues to run on the identically configured test system with no
> problems at all.
[snip]
> The copied the binaries from the test system to the production
> system, and when trying to connect from various windows 95 machines,
> they always get the network is busy (error 54) message when trying
> a net use command or clicking on the machine in network neighborhood.
> They tried compiling the samba 2.0.3 directly on the production server,
> still had the same problem.  They then reinstalled the old 1.9.10 version
> and it started working correctly again. They can connect to the production
> machine running 2.0.3 from both NT and other unix machines using smbclient,
> just not windows 95.  The windows NT does, however, have a long delay
> when making the initial connection.
[snip]

I'm no unix guru-dude (but I'm working on it), but obviously the
runtime environment is different between the two machines.  The
samba stuff (and unix/linux code in general) seems highly dependent
on numerous shared libraries.  Have you checked the makefile(s) for
the samba code and verified that all required libraries, etc, are
the same versions on both machines?  Maybe the "production" machine
is not quite as up-to-date as the test machine...

That's about all I can think of, however, there are much more
qualified folks than I on this list.  Anyone else care to comment?

Steve