trouble re-joining NT domain

acli at mingpaoxpress.com acli at mingpaoxpress.com
Thu May 20 19:20:33 GMT 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.990517184145.18724S-100000 at entropy.ucsc.edu> you write:
>3. log on to the domain, make use of all of the nice stuff.
>4. reboot the Linux box 5. upon attempting to rejoin the domain I observe
>the following error message:
>[root at entropy /etc]# smbpasswd -j MEL -r sarett
>cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

That's because you have ran smbpasswd a second time. When smbpasswd
is run the first time, it creates a password file which will be
re-used. (You don't have to rerun smbpasswd to rejoin the domain;
once you join the domain you are a member of the domain.)

If you run smbpasswd a second time, it will delete the password file
and you are hosed. From my experience smbpasswd will now never work;
no one will be able to access the Linux box even if it says it joins
the domain successfully. (If anyone knows why or knows how to get out
of this mess, please drop me a note. Thanks in advance.)

--
Ambrose C. Li / +1 416 321 0088 / Ming Pao Newspapers (Canada) Ltd.
EDP department / All views expressed here are my own; they may or