Strange Error ...

Tom Hören tho at melexis.com
Tue May 18 18:15:55 GMT 1999

'llo,

   Sorry to barge in like this, but is there someone out there who can tell me
   what kind of error I'm looking for if the log files say :

      05/19/1999 12:51:06 Transaction 2 of length 113
      switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 3952)
      Domain=[IEPER]  NativeOS=[Unix] NativeLanMan=[Samba]
      sesssetupX:name=[THOIEP]
      SMB Password - pwlen = 24, challenge_done = 1
      Checking SMB password for user thoiep (l=24)
      Checking NT MD4 password
      NT MD4 password check failed
      Error smb_password_check failed
      Checking password for user thoiep (l=24)
---> 05/19/1999 12:51:06 error packet at line 588 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX)
eclass=2 ecode=2
      error string = No such file or directory

   Now I hear you say : password not correct ! But I can assure you it is
... Prove ?
   From a W95 machine I (that is THOIEP in the above) can open a (.doc)
file from one of
   our (Linux) file servers, but when I want to save it again word is
complaining about diskspace
   (of cource there is plenty of that), at the same time I see the above
error lines appear in the loggings.
   (tail -f ...)

   I get this exact same error at a regular base, and this for ALL users
that are connected !
   Checking the loggings revealed that this error NEVER occurred in the past.

   Things I checked/did :

      - The 'smbpasswd' on the password-server looks intact (I could "read"
it with an editor)
        so I don't think this file is corrupt. Is there some tool to verify
the integrity of this file ?
      - I restarted ALL the samba-servers ... No change!  But shutting down
one of them produced
        a list of errors saying that some processes could not be shut down
cause the pid did not
        exist ... You have to admit this is strange !
      - The file-system of the file-server itself can not be corrupt cause
it is a raid5 array,
         (linux soft raid -latest stable version- 5 disks in raid5 and one
hot spare) so I expect
         the raid modules to start complaining if there is some kind of
filesystem corruption ...
         but they are not complaining :-)
      - I did not add/remove/change a thing in the smb.conf files the last
few weeks, so it can't be that.

If you need more info, I'll be glad to provide you !

Thanks in advance,

Tom

If time is money this message was almost for free ;)
             Melexis                                Elex

      ~	 Rozendaalstraat 12                Transportstraat 1
     . .	 B-8900 Ieper                       B-3980 Tessenderlo
     /V\	 BELGIUM                            BELGIUM
    // \\
   /(   )\   E-Mail : THO at Melexis.com   E-Mail : THO at ELEX.BE

    ^`~'^  Tel.   : +32\13.67.07.56         Tel.   : +32\57.22.61.49
              Fax    : +32\57.21.34.68        Fax    : +32\13.67.21.34