Samba and BackupExec

Franck Buland franck.buland at hyperoffice.fr
Wed May 19 12:34:26 GMT 1999

Hi,

I've got Samba 2.0.2 and a server NT4 SP3 with Seagate BackupExec 7.0.
When I want to backup Samba with Seagate BackupExec, I get a message
saying "Unable to connect to server, <F5> to retry", and then another
one saying "A device specific error occured".

I've read all the Samba archive about that subject, but I do not find
any solution.

I don't understand the proposition from Cary T. Conrad
(conrad at messagesecure.com)

"After thinking about this I would think that you should be able to
backup
shares on any SMB machine as long as the login/passwd for the B.U.E.
account are the same on both machines. However, another way to do this
is
to install the UNIX B.U.E. agent on the UNIX machine."

What is B.U.E. ?

Another point is to manage the archive status on file, because the
backup software use this information.
I've add to smb.conf:
create mask = 0664
map archive = true
but when I put the property Archive with Windows NT, no status Archive
is put for the file.
I use chmod u+x on this file, and when I see it in the Windows Explorer,
I see the status Archive. But when I want to see it with the Property
dialog on Windows, the case Archive is not checked, and the status
Archive is retired, without I changed anything!