trouble re-joining NT domain

Rich McClellan richmc at entropy.ucsc.edu
Tue May 18 01:51:03 GMT 1999

Hello people!

I have observed the following behavior when re-joining NT domains from
Linux boxes (RH 5.2, fwiw).

1. follow the directions in the DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt (thanks Jeremy!) to
successfully join a domain.
2.  restart smbd and nmbd
3. log on to the domain, make use of all of the nice stuff.
4. reboot the Linux box 5. upon attempting to rejoin the domain I observe
the following error message:
[root at entropy /etc]# smbpasswd -j MEL -r sarett
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
SARETT. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
1999/05/17 18:44:35 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain MEL.
Unable to join domain MEL.

Note that the local host has an entry in the PDC:  Participation in the
Domain worked before rebooting!  I have observed this behavior with four
different Linux boxes.

It *could* be that the number of clients allowed to connect to the server
is exceeded, but I can't tell since my research advisor maintains the NT
systems and guards the admin password well, and he doesn't care much if
our Linux boxes play in the Domain.

		thanks for any help,
		Rich

Molecular Engineering Laboratory