Problem with SMB Shares and upper/lower case

Mike Eiringhaus mail at netron.de
Mon May 17 22:22:12 GMT 1999

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:47:50 -0500, Guy Dallaire wrote:
..
>When I try to access a file or a subdirectory under the share, I get a message telling me "File not found",
>or "this folder does not exist".
>
>I tried all sorts of upper/lower, preserve, case combinations in smb.conf, nothing seems to work. I tried
>with debug level = 3 and I noticed a lot of "Error file not found, line=..." in the samba log.

I use the Samba version 1.9.18p10 and i had a lot of problems too, in my
last installation. One hint i can
give you is to write out the following four parameters everytime. I
don't now which but one or more have
not the "default values" i had reading in the smb.conf man page.
Use:
        case sensitive = no
        mangle case = no
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes

This must be the best values for connections from Win95 clients.

>If I use "make new folder" from Windows explorer, it creates a "New folder" directory but I cannot
>access it ! It say "the directory does not exist"

yea, yea

>a) Can samba + win 95 be configured in such a way that if files AAA.dat, AaA.dat, aaa.dat exist under
>UNIX, I will be able to distinguish between the three files under win 95 ?

As I know, windows 95 makes (official) no difference between upper and
lower case except the display.
This OS :-) changes the name of ervery new file stored on a Novell
Netware 3.x Server whith the first
letter as a great and the following as small respectively upper and
lower. O.k, at last it may be
the lack of Novell Netware 3.x, too.

Good luck :)
Mike Eiringhaus
Excuse me my worry english but I'am from german and that is so far away.