Printing fails above a certain size

John Gruenenfelder johng at bach.as.arizona.edu
Tue May 11 23:09:39 GMT 1999

It was suggested here at my work that we get a monitorless NT station so that
the Windows PCs could print on our predominantly Sun network.  I suggested
Samba and had it set up fairly easily (quite nice).

I'm running Samba on a RedHat 5.2 system on an Intel chip.  The installation
went mostly fine.  I just had to make the Samba spool directory world writable
for the printing to work.

When Windows users print to my machine it will work most of the time.  If the
file is about 2-5 MB then it will work.  However, a larger file ( < 7MB or so)
will fail. Looking at the logs, I can see that the client will connect, but
then it never sends data and it never disconnects.  If I then kill smbd (it
runs on demand through inetd) the log will be updated to show that the client
closed, but still no data.

Any ideas why this is happening?  The samba spool is on /var and there is
about 80MB free which should be more than enough since none of the printers
are actually connected to this machine.  Thanks in advance.

--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
Elrond, Duke of URL     http://www.azstarnet.com/~elrond
elrond at azstarnet.com    johng at bach.as.arizona.edu
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max