Performance (?) problem with Samba and NT

Hall, Ken (ECCS) KeHall at exchange.ml.com
Mon May 10 13:24:38 GMT 1999

I've seen this question asked on the list, but never answered.  I've tried
searching the archives, etc., but don't find anything relevant.

I have a network with several Win95 and 98 client machines and one NT4
machine (NT Workstation, not Server).  It's currently using Novell, but I've
been testing a Samba server as a replacement.  The 95 and 98 clients work
fine.  When I browse the network, the server appears, I can open it, look at
the shares, etc.  Everything is quick and correct.  Even printing works
fine.

On the NT machine, however, it takes up to a minute to open the Samba Server
in Network Neighborhood.  It takes up to another minute to open any of the
shares.  If I run "NET USE" from a command-line window, it takes the same
amount of time to complete.  Once the share is mapped to a drive, it works
fine for a while, but after a time, you can't open "My Computer" without
another long wait, and can't access the mapped drives without another long
wait.

This is Samba 2.0.3 on RedHat 5.2, but I'm having a similar problem on a
test box running 5.1 and an older version of Samba.  The NT system was at
SP3, and is now at SP4.  The upgrade had no effect on the operation.
Defining a WINS server on the NT system had no effect, other than to make
the "Workstation" service fail to start most of the time.  I'm using
SECURITY=USER, and everything else seems to be working fine.

I had tested this setup with NT Server a while back, and I vaguely recall
having similar problems with it, but I gave up on it for other reasons
before I had a chance to figure out what was wrong.  Because of this, I
suspect the problem is on the client side.

Anyone have any ideas?