JetDirect

Johan Meiring jjm at iname.com
Sat May 8 03:53:09 GMT 1999

Hi,

WOW, this was posted over a year ago!  A response now.

The problem still exists.  As reconfirmed in a post i read not to long ago
(within the last 2 weeks?).  HP jetdirect cards can only do one thing at a
time. (HP has been writing Jetdirect firmware for 5 years, PLEASE HP you
_MUST_ have the ability to fix it?!  Or don't you??)

This can be confirmed if you have an NT only shop.  In the NT event log,
talking to a Jetdirect card, you will find loads of messages stating
somthing similar to:  "Cannot connect to printer, will try until it is
available"  (Message from memory, so it might be worded incorrectly).

In samba, it requests the printer queue from the operating system using the
lpq/(other variant) command.  It will wait for this to complete until it
returns the result to the calling application. (Win 95)

Solutions are as follows:

1)  HP should fix their Jetdirect cards (Do you know how to HP?)

2)  The *NIX vendors should modify their lpq/(or variant) to include a
switch to list only the locally queued jobs.  (The unfortunate thing about
this is that you will not see the job currently printing, but at least you
won't see a 'hang')

3)  Samba should be modified to 'cache' a previous lpq output, and update it
when lpq returns,  maybe a daomon that calls lpq every 20 seconds and cache
the output to supply to clients.  I realize that this option is stupid, but
maybe the only way. How does NT do it?

4)  Go on holiday and stop printing :-) (I need one badly!)

Hope this helps.  Flames, comments, etc...  welcome. (I Think)

Johan