Problems getting to samba server from domain

Norm Long nlong at worldvision.org
Sat May 8 00:31:04 GMT 1999

Greetings, hope someone can help.  We have installed samba 2.0.3 on a hp-ux
10.20 server.  The smbclient -L command yields the following:

#  smbclient -L hosea -U%
Server time is Fri May  7 17:10:16 1999
Timezone is UTC-7.0
Domain=[WVUS-NT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.3]

Server=[HOSEA] User=[samba] Workgroup=[WVUS-NT] Domain=[WVUS-NT]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        FW_1184        Printer
        FW_11_84       Printer
        FW_1306        Printer
        FW_13_06       Printer
        FW_1401        Printer
        FW_14_01       Printer
        FW_31_09       Printer
        FW_44_06       Printer
        homes          Disk
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.0.3)
        mrs            Disk      SPSS file space
        tmp            Disk      Temporary file space
        wv/prod        Disk      Production file space

This machine has a browse list:

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        DEBORAH              Primary Domain Controller
        HOSEA                Samba 2.0.3

>From the HP-UX server we can use the smbclient command to successfully
connect to a NT box on the NT domain.

Out Problem is we can't map a drive from the NT domain back to the HP-UX
server.  We can do a net view from a nt workstation and our HP-UX server is
listed. But when we use the command net view \\hosea  (Hosea being our
HP-UX server) we get access denied.  When we try the net use command to
mount a drive from Hosea we get access denied.

What are we missing? THANKYOU FOR ANY AND ALL ASSISTANCE!!!

HERE IS OUR SMB.CONF FILE

#  cat smb.conf
; Configuration file for smbd.
; =========================================================================
===
; For the format of this file and comprehensive descriptions of all the
; configuration option, please refer to the man page for smb.conf(5).
;
; The following configuration should suit most systems for basic usage and
; initial testing. It gives all clients access to their home directories
and
; allows access to all printers specified in /etc/printcap.
;
; Things you need to check:
; --------------------------
;
; 1: Check the path to your printcap file. If you are using a system that
does
;    not use printcap (eg., Solaris), create a file containing lines of the

;    form
;
;       printername|printername|printername|
;
;    where each "printername" is the name of a printer you want to provide
;    access to. Then alter the "printcap =" entry to point to the new file.
;
;    If using Solaris, the following command will generate a suitable
printcap
;    file:
;
;       lpc status | grep ":" | sed s/:/\|/ > myprintcap
;
; 2: Make sure the "print command" entry is correct for your system. This
;    command should submit a file (represented by %s) to a printer
;    (represented by %p) for printing and should REMOVE the file after
;    printing.
;
;    One most systems the default will be OK, as long as you get "printing
="
;    right.
;
;    It is also a good idea to use an absolute path in the print command
;    as there is no guarantee the search path will be set correctly.
;
; 3: Make sure the "printing =" option is set correctly for your system.
;    Possible values are "sysv", "bsd" or "aix".
;
; 4: Make sure the "lpq command" entry is correct for your system. The
default
;    may not work for you.
;
; 5: Make sure that the user specified in "guest account" exists. Typically
;    this will be a user that cannot log in and has minimal privileges.
;    Often the "nobody" account doesn't work (very system dependant).
;
; 6: You should consider the "security =" option. See a full description
;    in the main documentation and the smb.conf(5) manual page
;
; 7: Look at the "hosts allow" option, unless you want everyone on the
internet
;    to be able to access your files.
;
[global]
; Used in conjunction with printcap file and [printers] section
; kpl  load printers =no

; The workgroup that this server belongs to
  ; workgroup = WVUS-NT
  workgroup = wvus-nt

  ; interfaces coped from hp3000 conf file
interfaces = 89.0.0.123/255.0.0.0

; quest logon identity for accessing files and printers
  ; kpl guest account = samba
  ; kpl guest ok = yes
; kpl  guest ok = no

; kpl   printing = bsd
; kpl   printcap name = /etc/printcap
; kpl   load printers = yes
   guest account = samba
;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
;  lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
;  share modes = yes

[homes]
;   comment = Home Directories
;   path=/data/pchome/%S
;   browseable = no
; kpl
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
;   create mode = 0750

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

; you might also want this one
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   ; kpl write ok = no
   public = yes
   ; kpl
   read only = no
   ; kpl create mode = 0750
   ; kpl guest ok = yes

[wv/prod]
   comment = Production file space
   path = /wv/prod
   read only = yes
   public = yes

[mrs]
   comment = SPSS file space
   path = /mrs
   read only = yes
   public = yes

;
; Other examples.
;
; A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in
fred's
; home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
directory,
; wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /homes/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes
;
; A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
; access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
;   comment = Fred's Service
;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
;   valid users = fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;
; A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
; the staff group
;[public]
;   comment = Public Stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/public
;   public = yes
;   writable = no
;   printable = no
;   write list = @staff
;
; a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
; this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
; also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
; The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
;  comment = PC Directories
;  path = /usr/pc/%m
;  public = no
;  writeable = yes
;
;
; A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all
files
; created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
; any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
; directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of
course
; be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user
instead.
;[public]
;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
;   public = yes
;   only guest = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;
;
; The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that
two
; users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In
this
; setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
; sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended
; as many users as required.
;[myshare]
;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/shared