Sending Winpopup Messages

Paul L. Lussier plussier at baynetworks.com
Fri May 7 12:50:42 GMT 1999

In a message dated: Fri, 07 May 1999 22:40:06 +1000
"Gareth Williams" said:

>Sending Winpopup messages is possible by issuing the command
>smbclient -M <host>.
>
>How do I send a winpopup message to a user, or a workgroup.
>If I type smbclient -M <workgroup> I get 'Unknown Host'.
>
>I have tried various methods, but no success.
>
>I wish to cause winpopup messages to be broadcast when the server is
>shutting down, automatically.
>
>What am I doing wrong???!

How about getting a list of hosts together into a file, and writing a shell
script around smbclient.

	for i in `cat pclist.txt`
	do
	  smbclient -M $i < shutdownmessage.txt
	done

That's just a simple, off the top of my head command line shell script.  You
can make it more robust if you want to.
--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh? :)