Linux SMB Server-WinNT Network, Login probs

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Thu May 6 05:06:17 GMT 1999

On 6 May 99, "Rajat Hooja" <rhooja at netleap.net> had questions about
Linux SMB Server-WinNT Network, Login probs:

> I can get the smb server to show up in the NT Network Neighborhood.
> Publicly accessible folders and files work fine. But when I try and setup
> an individual user folder so that only one specific user can access it, it
> doesn't work.
>
> I try and open up a folder and it prompts me for a login/pass, i try both
> my linux login and my WinNT login and I get the message "The account is
> not authorized to login from this station."

I'm not sure exactly which problem you're describing.  One is
related to authentication, the other to file and directory
permissions.  What security mode are you running in?  Is everyone
authenticating to an NT PDC somewhere?

I don't have a PDC, so I did the following:  User accounts on the
NT box, their linux/samba accounts, and their win95 NetBIOS names
all correspond to their lastnames.  The NT and linux boxes (running
in security=user mode) each have their own hostname (the NetBIOS
name is the same).  They login to their win9x clients and use their
linux/samba password (if they don't, then they can't access the
samba shares).

The win9x smb thingy sends the NetBIOS name as the username
(instead of the linux username) so you have to map the nemas if
they're not the same.  Certain builds/SP of NT have a different
problem where it doesn't let you specify the username in exploder.
You have to open a command prompt and do a Net Use command
specifying the username.  Then you can browse the shares.  If you
make a permanent drive mapping, then it will prompt you correctly
for the password after you login to NT.  I have all the samba
usernames mapped to the NT hostname too.

Once you can do the above, then make sure the share directories you
create on the linux side are not owned by root (and have the
ownership and permissions that you really want) and you should be
fine.

Hope this helps, Steve