Generating encrypted smbpasswd file

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Thu May 6 00:15:25 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Carey F. Cox" <carey at tabasco.lamar.edu>
carved some runes like this:

> If you use "update encrypted = yes" with encrypted password
> support turned off, should you still be able to use smbpasswd
> to change passwords. This is what I am trying to do, but
> smbpasswd is not working. It gives me error messages when a
> user tries to change their password and appears to work fine
> for root (comes back successful), but doesn't change the password.
> I have also enabled unix password syncing.

I agree (I would think smbpasswd should work as long as the
password file exists and is in the right place).  Some things to
check:

If you're running RedHat linux, check to see that all relevant
files are in the proper places.  RedHat modifies both sources and
the (pre-configure) standard makefile, eg, they put smbpasswd in
/etc (this may apply to other distributions as well).

What kind of error messages are you getting?  Maybe you need to
modify the passwd chat string (I don't have that one, but I'm still
running 1.9.18p8).

Hope this helps, Steve