Samba 2.0.3 and NT Terminal Server SP4/MetaFrame 1.8

Kevin Sage ksage at panther2.amd.com
Wed May 5 22:17:04 GMT 1999

I'm running NT 4.0 Terminal Server (Service Pack 4) with Citrix MetaFrame
1.8 on a PC, and Samba 2.0.3 on an HP-UX box.  We've been having
occasional problems with files not saving correctly, and also with files
not unzipping or copying correctly.

I suspect it's some sort of incompatibility between Samba and Terminal
Server/Metaframe and/or SP4.  For example, running a self-extracting zip
file from a MetaFrame client fails about 90% through (the file is a 3.25
MB Word file) and NT pops up a message stating "Error writing to
<filename>.  Possible cause: disk full."  A separate message appears on
the MetaFrame console stating:

        "System Process - Lost Delayed-Write Data
         The system was attempting to transfer file data from buffers
         to <filename>.  The write operation failed, and only some
         of the data may have been written to the file."

Finally, in the NT Event Log, I get the following error:
        "RDR"
        "The redirector has timed out a request to <samba_server>."
with event ID 3013

Interestingy, the same file will extract to the same samba share from a
standalone NT 4 Workstation (SP3) or from the MetaFrame/Terminal Server
console.  I can also extract from a MetaFrame client to a share that is on
the NT 4 Workstation's local drive.  I never noticed this problem with
Terminal Server SP3, but the system was not in heavy use at that time.

Has anybody seen anything like this or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin