password prob

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed May 5 16:50:03 GMT 1999

On Tue, 4 May 1999 liquid at RZ.FH-Augsburg.DE wrote:

> .another password problem with samba.
>
> it works fine from the server with smbclient -L
> but not so from a Win98 pc.
> net view exits with error 86, network password
> not correct.

Probably is that the Samba server is not setup for encrypted passwords.
It is the same problem as the Windows 95 redirector update.  The Windows
98 client will not negotiate plain text passwords and thus anything you
send is rejected.

For a fix, either...

	* see the Win95_plainpassword.reg file distributed with Samba
	* setup the samba servebr to support SMB password encryption
	 (see ENCRYPTION.txt)

> furthermore there appears something with
>  NativeOS=[Windows 4.0] NativeLanMan=[Windows 4.0]
>
> does that mean my Win98 is seen as NT4.0 from the server?

No.  Only as Windows version 4.0 (ie Win95/98)

jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )