HPUX 10.20 - SAMBA 2.0.3: Cannot connect With NT 4.0

Xavier Ménage xmenage at chasseneuil.rms.slb.com
Wed May 5 11:07:58 GMT 1999

Here is our configuration :

SAMBA Server : HPUX 10.20 SAMBA 2.0.3.
Only the parameter workgroup has a non default value. There is one share
defined (no homes). All share values are default, except read only=no,
comment and path  (smb.conf is managed with swat which has made some
cleaning in the previous smb.conf file)

SMB Client : Windows NT 4.0 SP3 or SP4 (both tested) - modified registry
to enable plain text password.

We can not connect a drive wether from Windows Explorer or with net use
: it asks for name and password. After validation it comes back to the
name and password window. With Net use, it gives an error message :
password incorrect.

We have another SAMBA server on Solaris 2.5 with exactly the same SAMBA
version and same global parameters configuration (checked with diff
between testparm dumps) and it works well.

All our unix machines use NIS (not NIS+).

Did I miss something ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Xavier Ménage
Schlumberger