Print spooling from LPRng and Samba

Bruce Kerr bkerr at lcgs.tas.edu.au
Wed May 5 09:00:13 GMT 1999

for print spooling to work with HP jetdirect you have to set up a sort of
bounce queue with /etc/printcap for your JetDirect Printers eg:

shared_prn:lp=lp at localhost
lp:server:lp=lpt1 at 192.168.64.99:sd=/var/spool/lpd/shared_prn

of course you should use your own printers name and ip address.

The word localhost should stay as it is.

This works for me on 3 JD printers in the one printcap ( all separate
entries and ip's)

If anyone has this working and then gets the accounting file to work give me
a mail as I can only get the jobstart and jobend entries in my accounting
file, I don't get the pagecount entries eg start -p... end -p ...

Hope this helps

Regards

Bruce Kerr