login w/o password

Guenther Wieser wieserg at creative-it.com
Mon May 3 23:09:33 GMT 1999

I'm using an old Intel netport printserver that loads it application
code form a netbios resource. As I don't have (or want) a Win station on
my network I thought I can use samba for that issue.

The problem now is that this itel netport tries to login with
user=netport and NO password.
So I set up a ressource like this:
[NETPORT]
  comment = Intel Netport RBL file
  path = /home/gwieser/netport
  read only = yes
  browseeable = yes
  public = yes
  guest only = yes

If I login to that NETPORT ressource with smbclient I get asked for the
password. When pressing the RETURN key, the password is asked another
time! Then access is granted.
Is it possible to tell samba to just ask one time for that password if
it's an empty one?
I tried it on version 1.9.18p8 and 2.0.1, all the same.

--
Guenther Wieser
creative-it/Guenther Wieser Software KEG
http://www.creative-it.com        mailto:wieserg at creative-it.com
-> In A World Without Walls And Fences, Who Needs Windows And Gates? <-