Windows 98 not printing

David Nillesen dave at northnet.com.au
Mon May 3 09:02:54 GMT 1999

    I have a windows 98 box + all updates and a redhat linux 5.2 box with
kernel 2.2.5 and samva 2.0.3.
    I can share bi-directionally filesystems between the two perfectly.
They work quickly and reliably. I am using user level passwords and have
verified they work.
    The problem is printing. The windows box attempts to print to the
printer after installing it by double clicking on the "network
neighbourhood" and browsing it up. It finds it fine and installs drivers
just dandy.
    However i get a "Unknown error occurred while printing" window pop up.
Not very helpful. It puts the printer into user intervention required
mode. The samba logs show that the windows box just disconnected itself.
    I have tried recompiling and installing from a fresh source in case
there was a flaky library mismatch in my redhat system.
    Following is my samba.conf.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David Nillesen

[global]
   workgroup = northnet.com.au
   server string = Astinus Master Server
   hosts allow = 203.57.24.0/255.255.255.0

#auto load printers
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
   max log size = 50

#security mode
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

#performance options
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

#browser master annnounce
   remote browse sync = 203.57.24.255
   remote announce = 203.57.24.255

# Master server config
#   local master = no
   os level = 100
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes

# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy =  yes

[MP3]
   comment = Muzak