german umlaute win95 client vs. Linux-Samba file server

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sun May 2 11:12:36 GMT 1999

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Andy Bakun wrote:

> >I believe this is smbfs related.
> >smbclient shows (correctly):
> >  åäö-sql.txt                         A     759  Tue Apr  6 16:25:44 1999
> >/bin/ls on the same share mounted as smbfs shows:
> >???-sql.txt
> >
> >But on a different filesystem (ext2):
> >cola:~>touch åäö
> >cola:~>/bin/ls åäö
> >åäö
> >
> >This is with 2.2.6/2.0.3. I haven't looked at all at options to smbfs
> >(or smbmount) it is possible that there is something there that can help.
>
> There is a good chance that your ls is by default using the -q option,
> which shows ? instead of 8-bit characters.

Why would /bin/ls have -q set by default?

/bin/ls -b on the share gives:
\206\204\224-sql.txt

While ls on the ext2 still gives
cola:~>/bin/ls -b åäö
åäö

LC_CTYPE is set to sv_SE, so åäö isprint() (I think?). Clearing LC_CTYPE,
gives:
cola:~>/bin/ls -b åäö
\345\344\366

Which is different from the above. There seems to be a need to make some
kind of translation of filenames (\206 -> \345 ?) For smbclient this is
done by these settings:
   character set  = iso8859-1
   client code page = 850

The above settings also make shares from a linux box handle åäö in
filenames with a NT client (both files created on the server and from the
client). I think this is an answer to the original question. Ralf, did you
have these set?

I still haven't found a way to tell smbmount/mount/smbfs to use a
"codepage". When mounting vfat for example, it takes a codepage=###
option.

Oh, and /bin/ls -N doesn't help, as someone suggested. I just get black
squares (both xterm and console).

Does anyone know if smbfs can do these kind of filename conversions?

/Urban

---
Urban Widmark                           urban at svenskatest.se
Svenska Test AB                         +46 90 71 71 23