Bad smbclient put performance and smbfs write performance

tomek tomek at is.fh-hamburg.de
Sat May 1 22:01:46 GMT 1999

David B. Rees wrote
> Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 02:08:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "David B. Rees" <dbr at spoke.nols.com>
> To: samba at samba.org
> Subject: Bad smbclient put performance and smbfs write performance
>
> Hi,
>
> I've had extremely bad smbclient put performance when connecting from my Linux
> box to a Windows 95 box.  I only get about 10KBytes/s!  All other forms of data
> transfer work fine, and I get from 600-700KBytes/s.  This is on a local 10BT
> LAN.  I've seen a few other reports of this, but no solutions as of yet.
> smbclient does puts just fine to another Linux/Samba Server.  I'm using Samba
> 2.0.3, the Linux machines are running kernel 2.2.7, glibc-2.1, egcs-1.1.2.
> I've two Win95 machines, both perform equally poorly.
>
> I also have very bad smbfs write performance.  When doing a simple cp of a file
> to the smbfs mounted directory results in performance of about 40KBytes/s.
> Reads from the file system are OK, but interactivity (like doing a 'ls' on the
> mounted directory) is extremely poor while doing either reads or writes.  In
> this case, it doesn't matter what the OS of the server I'm mounting from is.
> Mounting a share from Win95 or from another Linux/Samba-2.0.3 machine gets the
> same results.  I mount the share using this command for win95 (I don't have the
> w95 fixes compiled into the kernel) `smbmount //server/share -c 'mount mntpoint
> -f 3755'` and the same thing without the '-f 3755' when mounting from another
> Samba Server.  Interestingly, mounting a Samba share from the same machine gets
> good performance.
>
> I've dabbled with win95 registry settings, and smb.conf settings, but the
> results are exactly the same no matter what I've tried.
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
> -Dave

Hello,
It seems that your network is not correctly configurated. If in one
direction you have 600-700 Kb/s and in the other direction 10KB/s (or
even less) it could be a sign that your full/half duplex network
configuration is wrong. Sometimes when you use Autosensing this problem
appears. For example your server network card is on autosensing and your
switch on 10 HDX. Then you have a problem. Use only autonegotiation, or
use only fixed 10 or 100 hdx/fdx on both sides. You have to check ALL
the way from the server to client. Make ftp transfer with put and get
with one 1MB file and see what will happen. Connect server and client
with ONE CROSSED cable (both networks cards should have the same
configuration) and see what happen. If everything will be OK, than your
server and client are OK and you have to check you network. I had the
same problem already many times with different hardware and OS. Bay
Networks Autonegotiation didn't understand Cisco autonegotiation and Sun
100MB network card don't understand 3Com autonegotiation.

I hope my advice will be usefull for you, all the best

Tomek