16Bit Progs via Win95 client

Robert Schratzer rs at tulpe.net
Sat May 1 18:43:17 GMT 1999

I've run into a problem and would like to know if anyone else has
experienced it.

I'm trying to install and run an old 16 Bit Win$ Application on our LAN.
- Install and run on Win95 works ok.
- Install on a Novell 3.12 Server and run on a Win95 client works ok.
- Install on a Samba 2.0.0 / SUSE 5.3 Server and run on the Win95 client
gets me strange results. (Can be reproduced)

Win95 rebooted before every 1st try:
- 1st try: About 20 seconds after starting the apps Win95 says that "a
connected device is not functioning properly"
- 2nd try: About 20 seconds after starting the apps Win95 says that it
has problems with the network drive.

Now the above happens with debug level 0 thru 4.
BUT!! As soon as I set the debug level to 5 it - naturally - takes
longer but it works on the 2nd try (the first try still doesn't work)

So, I suspect a timing problem in the Win95 client. (I've played with
oplocks, strict lock but always with the same results.)

Would anybody have an idea how to solve this from the Samba side?
Many thanks in advance.

--
- robert -