Unsolved? - Is Samba typically slower sending files than receiving?

Steve Arntzen sjarntzen at esi-il.com
Wed Mar 31 17:02:46 GMT 1999

I saw this posted and found it in the archives but have
seen no response to the problem.

Originally in samba digest #1864,
(also in http://???.samba.org/listproc/samba/November1998/0022.html)

>Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 07:53:51 -0600
>From: "Greg Cox" <greg.cox at meltonmachine.com>

>Subject: Is Samba typically slower sending files than receiving?

I have been having the same problem with different servers,
Caldera Linux on Intel, RedHat on Alpha and FreeBSD on Intel.
The FreeBSD macine shows the best performance, but reading
files from the server is still much slower than writing to
the server (Slower means 1/2 write speed at best).

All servers are on a fast ethernet switch.

Test clients are NT and 95 on fast ethernet links.

Tests are done on idle machines and network.

FTP between machines can run up to full network bandwidth.

All servers are Samba 1.9.18p10 or greater.

Testparm shows no errors.

Log files are setup properly.

No error messages are being stored.

Socket options = TCP_NODELAY

Many other options have been tried but no luck.

Am I missing something basic here?

Please respond.  This is the final snag in replacing our
last NT server with a Samba machine.

Thanks,

Steve Arntzen
Computer Systems Administrator