NT PDC forgets it's the domain master browser!

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Wed Mar 31 05:53:37 GMT 1999

On 31 Mar 99, Jim Watt <jimw at pe-nelson.com> had questions about NT
PDC forgets it's the domain master browser! Why???:

[snip]
> For about a week after the PDC is rebooted, everything is fine.
> Clients on both networks can see all the machines in the domain,
> indicating that Samba and the PDC are synchronizing browse
> lists.  Eventually, in the nmbd log, errors like this one
> begin:
>   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name TIOGA<1b> for the
>     workgroup TIOGA.
>   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
>
> If I use nmblookup to find the IP address associated with
> "tioga#1b", the PDC is found:
[snip]
> interfaces = 192.52.153.11/24 167.116.93.5/24
>         local master = yes
>         preferred master = yes
>         domain master = no
>         os level = 17
>         announce as = NT Server
                        ^^^^^^^^^
Maybe if you didn't announce as NT Server, the real NT machine
wouldn't think you were a BDC.  I don't know what the options are
off the top of my head (I think it might be to fool WfW or
something) but it *might* help...

Steve Arnold                            sarnold at earthling.net
http://www.rain.org/~sarnold

   "A mime is a terrible thing to waste..."   Mel Brooks